Friday, January 11, 2013

Am I Too Sick to Work Out?

This cold and flu season is really hitting a lot of people! Are you one of them?

Here we are just 11 days into the new year. Resolve to work out is high for a lot of people. You might be going to gym, a little sore, thinking, "Yeah! This is going to be the year that I keep my resolution to lose these ___ pounds!". And then, it hits you. Starts with a sore throat, maybe a runny nose. Pretty soon, you're laid up in bed like this guy.

Such has been my plight this week. Tuesday morning I woke up with some tightness in my chest and by Thursday, I didn't want to get out of bed for much at all. But, I have an inside battle. On one hand, my body is waging war against a billion tiny microbes that are wreaking havoc on my body. On the other hand, this is just my 2nd week of Les Mills Combat and I do NOT want to be missing workouts this early in the program. What to do?

Tuesday morning when I woke up, we were already going for our workout at 6 a.m. and I felt ok. Wednesday was our rest day on the schedule. Yesterday, we took as a rest day. But, today! Oh, today, I still didn't feel 100%, but I didn't feel like yesterday. So, we did go and do Combat 30 Live. I figured my body could use a little help getting the heat up and moving some lymphatic fluid around.

If you're sick and questioning whether to do your workout, consider this:

If your illness is in your head (headache, runny nose, even sore throat), you can consider working out. Make sure to pay attention to your body and use modified moves if you need to.

If your illness is in your chest (hacking cough) or you have a fever, it's best not to work out. Lie low until you can breathe ok or your fever breaks. When we work out, we raise our body temperature and if you already have a fever, you risk having it too high.

Here's to a HEALTHY 2013! This cold/flu bug that is going around is a nasty one! Remember to wash your hands frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I promise I won't bite. ;) I really do want to help you get healthy and fit!